Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Nutty Bites: Hummus

Hummus makes the perfect dip!
If I were Webster, I would have created the word hummus to mean: the one who hums.  But, since I am not Webster, I will refrain.  Instead, I will jump on the hummus bandwagon and eat it.  Have you tried it yet?

Hummus, in my humbly option (see what I did there?), can either be extremely tasty or blah!  The secret is in the flavor or brand.  I have not made my own yet so I am a brand snob.  However, there are plenty of great recipes out there.  The brands & flavors that are my favorite are Pita Pal Original & Hope Hummus Spicy Avocado (pictured above). Yum!
 
It is also nutritious.  Garbanzo beans are a great source of fiber and folic acid.  Beans, in general, can help lower cholesterol too.  I have nothing bad to say about the other typical ingredients either, which include olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and tahini.  Tahini is sesame seed butter and adds some protein, fiber, calcium, and monounsaturated fat.
 
What I love about hummus is that it is so versatile.  If you are new to hummus, use it as a dip for your veggies, toasted pita, or pretzels.  Or even try it as a condiment on your sandwich, burger, or wrap.  A friend of mine even mixes it with salsa to create a spicier dip.  WebMD mentioned blending hummus with broth, water, or wine until you get your desired drizzling consistency for dressing on cold pasta salads.  Lots of options!
 
Want a tasty recipe to make on your own?  Check this out from Bobby Flay on the Food Network website http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/spicy-hummus-with-grilled-pita-recipe/index.html 
 
What is your favorite thing to eat with hummus?
 
Eat well,
Bri
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love using it as a spread on wraps - it adds some creaminess without being drippy or making the tortilla soggy.

    ReplyDelete