Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Nutty Bites: Acai

Acai is good for the heart!
Okay, truth be told, I am having a hard time concentrating to write the blog post today.  Why?  3 reasons: 1) Matt is making up an "Adam-Sandler-like" song in the next room that keeps me laughing my butt of this chair, 2) I have had a long week at work so am not in the mood to sit in this chair, & last but definitely not least 3) I leave for California in less than 36 hours so am too excited to sit in this chair. 

But... back to it.  Today's "nutty bite" is Acai.  Why did I choose Acai?  Well, first of all, it is very complicated to say.  I hear all sorts of pronunciations on this one.  Here is the one I prefer and even though I confirmed it with Merriam-Webster, I am putting my own spin to the spelling of the pronunciation: aw-sigh-ee.  You dig?

Now to the good part... acai is a berry you can find in some juices or smoothies now.  It's a purple (hello favorite color!) fruit that comes from the acai palm tree, which is native to Central & South America.  The antioxidants in acai can help prevent diseases like heart disease and cancer.  The jury is still out on whether or not acai is a tool for weight loss, but come on... it IS a fruit.  And if you are eating more fruits & less cookies, heck you just might lose a few.  Here's a little secret I bet you didn't realize: since acai oil is high in antioxidant content, you may find it in beauty products as well.  Hello pretty skin!

Ready to try a little acai?  Ditch the pill, but try it in juice.  Or buy dried, frozen, or fresh acai berries & toss them into a salad or your morning oatmeal.

And off the chair I go to grab some juice with acai of my own.... 

Eat well,
Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment