Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Burger fan?

How do you like yours?

"I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and French fried potatoes.  Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer.  Well good God Almighty, which way do I steer for my..."

Yes, the next word is cheeseburger.  What?!  Heck, even dietitians eat cheeseburgers... especially during barbecue season.  Hello!  The kicker is in finding "swaps" that make a healthier cheeseburger or hamburger (I actually don't like cheese... another what?! is coming my way I am sure).

Swaps to consider:
  • Leave out the mayonnaise and replace with mustard.
  • Have a smaller portion (most burgers are HUGE!).
  • Try a different type of meat: veggie burger, turkey burger, or bison burger (my favorite and surprisingly lean).
  • Load up with the wholesome toppings like lettuce, tomato, onion, & pickles. 
  • Cheese your thing?  Have your favorite kind, but consider cutting the portion in half.  The flavor in cheese goes a long way and oftentimes you don't need much to make that cheeseburger tasty.
  • Watch your sides (choose a salad, vegetable kabob, or some juicy watermelon... and yes, spitting the seeds is required. Enjoy it!)
  • Try a whole wheat bun (look for 100% whole wheat flour as the first ingredient).  If you are gluten-sensitive, try a gluten-free bun like Udi's brand.  If you are carb-free, trade in your bun for two slices of iceburg lettuce (not my favorite thing, but hey it works for the Paleo crew).
And if you find yourself at a place that has the "World's Best Burger," don't feel guilty.  Savor your meal, only eat what you are hungry for, and realize that eating a burger every now and again is not going to stall your "get or stay fit" plan.

So any of you Jimmy Buffet fans still singing the song?!?  I have lovely memories of my dad singing that in the car often and us kids joining in.  Oh, nostalgia! 

Eat well,
Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment