Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Another PB? It's PB2 to be Exact!

PB2 is worth a try!
I love hearing about new products!  A friend of mine mentioned PB2 to me over the weekend and a light bulb went off in my head.  I knew this would be blog material... I mean, it even has the same initials as Pure Barre.  How cool is that?

Anyway, so what is PB2?

The Scoop: PB2 is a powder form of peanut butter.  The peanuts are roasted and then pressed to remove 85% of the fat and oil.  You mix 2 tablespoons of PB2 with 1 tablespoon of water & stir to get the regular peanut butter consistency.  A PB2 chocolate is also on the market  where wholesome cocoa powder is added to the mix!

The nutritional content is (per 2 tablespoons):

  • 45 calories
  • 1 gram fat
  • 6 grams carbohydrates
  • 1 gram fiber
  • 3 grams sugar
  • 4 grams protein
There are only 4 ingredients as well (peanuts, cocoa powder, sugar, & salt).

Bri's Take: I bought the PB2 chocolate to try first and this product did not disappoint.  The only cons I have are that it is a bit pricey and only available at specialty grocery stores like Central Market.  It costs a little under $5, but it does provide 15 servings & unlike regular peanut butter this will actually last me the 15 servings since I have to measure out the 2 tablespoons each time.  With regular peanut butter, I tend to slab a bit more than 2 tablespoons on my toast and before I know it I am out of the jar!

Other purposes PB2 can serve:
  • If you are trying to lose weight, this product is a good pick with its low calorie content
  • If you need to add some taste to your morning smoothie, this would be easy to mix in
  • If you have a high fat, but tasty baked good recipe that uses peanut butter then PB2 could be used as a replacement to lower the calories and fat content
  • It can add flavor to your favorite afternoon snacks by serving as a dip (think pretzels, banana slices, etc.)
Would I completely take out my natural peanut butter and replace it with this?  Probably not.  However, I firmly believe that variety is the spice of life so having options is ALWAYS a good thing!  Give it a try next time you are at Central Market or Sprouts!

Eat well,
Bri



No comments:

Post a Comment